It seems like wherever you are in the world, there is an almost universal love for a cold, sweet ice treat, to address the hot, summer sun. That first bite is absolute heaven and the cold sweetness makes you forget the burning irritation that plagued you the whole afternoon, before the arrival of a cold treat.
I remember the excitement that buzzed through me as a child, when the ice cream man was in the neighborhood. Singapore is a tropical country and there are really only two seasons. The hot season. And the rainy season. So for more than half the year, the ice cream man had a roaring business. He would arrive on his bicycle cart, just in time, summoning one and all with his familiar bell. His clientele consisted of a lot of hot, sweaty, thirsty children longing for the relief of an icy cold treat.
So, imagine my annoyance this year, when I discovered that the very same heat wave settling over the whole of the United States, has caused a rise in demand for good ice cream. Why you ask? Have you seen how much it costs for just one pint of ice cream? Inflation is through the roof and how much can you budget for ice-cream when your staples for main meals cost a lot?
Now, my household loves ice cream and at the height of summer…let’s just say we don’t easily get by with one pint between us, to last the whole week.
Homemade Ice Cream
So, after many years of owning a mixer, I bought an ice cream attachment for my mixer. I got one, sort of like these:https://amzn.to/3Q9Iuqp
Basically, any of these varieties will do if you have a budget:https://amzn.to/3Q7Y3Py
I have not regretted my purchase as I have learnt to make amateur ice cream and we are as happy as *clams*, enjoying this incredible chocolate chip ice cream on sweltering days. So try this recipe and enjoy the prospect of a cold, creamy, crunchy treat!
Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- ice cream maker
- 1 14-ounce sweetened condensed milk can
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2½ tsp pure vanilla essence real
- 1/4 cup walnuts chopped
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Chill the bowl of your ice cream maker ahead of time. In most cases, you need to freeze it the night before. Chill the can of condensed milk.
- You will need the can of chilled condensed milk, the half-and-half, and the vanilla extract. Mix or whisk all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Stir everything together until the color and texture are consistent.
- Set up your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions first, then pour the mixture into the bowl.
- Process the mixture in the ice cream maker for 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped walnuts and mini chocolate chips. This is part-way through the complete churning period.
- Churn for another 5-10 minutes until the ice cream mixture has thickened. Pour the ice cream mixture into a freezer-safe container, such as a Tupperware container or an ice cream container.
- Freeze the ice cream for 6 to 8 hours. Enjoy!
*This post may contain affiliate links which may compensate the writer of this website in one form or another. However, the author has written this post as part of a larger purpose which is to educate and inform readers on a particular subject related to the advertised products.